Friday, May 1, 2009

Opthamologist appointment

Yesterday, I took Nolan back down to Riley to see a pediatric opthamologist. The exam went well, and I was rather encouraged initially because when the doctor came in he had to ask which eye was the "lazy" one. Nolan's tracking was good and for all intents and purposes, he is seeing well. They dilated him and further examined him and found two conditions that Nolan has. #1 Amblyopia, also known as a lazy eye. #2 Accommodative Esotropia, which is a form of far sightedness. Nolan struggles to see things close up, and when he does, his eyes cross. Both conditions, if not corrected, can deteriorate vision. The doc wrote a prescription for glasses for Nolan, in the hopes that the glasses will retrain the eyes to work properly. We go back in 2 months to see if these conditions have improved or corrected. If they have not, they will want to do surgery to fix the nerves in Nolan's eyes. Oh boy! Another possible concern is that Nolan's optic nerves are healthy, but small. This can be nothing or it could end up being something...we'll know this over time.

So, again, I find myself discouraged. On the todo list this weekend is getting a 10 month old baby some glasses. Man...

2 comments:

Wani said...

I'm glad to hear that the appointment went well. But I know how tiring they can be even if there isn't any "bad news". Its a draining process sometimes. I'm curious to see if the glasses help Nolan. I posted recently about a visit we paid to a doctor who does vision therapy. I wonder if Nolan would benefit from that. The one we visited was in Carmel but there is one in Avon too.

Melissa and Josh said...

Kaleb has seen the same optho doctors at Riley that my sister Katelyn has gone to for years! Katelyn was diagnosed with the same problems as Nolan at about the same age. She did get glasses, but not for a little while later. She been thru the glasses, wearing patches on alternating eyes, and had 3 eye surgeries since then. She will still continue to need glasses, but her visoin continues to improve every year at her vision appts. I know that God will take care of Nolan and that he is precious in His sight. Nolan will see things the way God intends him to and I'm sure that it will be beautiful!